RFA is currently seeking a journalist well-versed in social media to adapt Cantonese language news content (images, video, and audio) to social media to engage target audiences, as well as to prepare, produce, and present reports and programs on TV and social media for its Cantonese language news service. This position will be based in RFA's Washington, DC, offices.
- Developing and implementing ways of adapting RFA’s Cantonese Service’s content to engage audiences on social media channels and digital platforms.
- Managing day-to-day curation and management of Cantonese Service social accounts.
- Creating social images, graphics and videos that enable effective, engaging storytelling in the social space.
- Using analytics to monitor the effectiveness of social posts and campaigns; providing feedback to editorial team based on data.
- Tracking industry trends and use of social media in target market; identifying opportunities to grow audiences on new and evolving social platforms.
- Covering news and/or features, as assigned, with depth and analysis.
- Eliciting newsworthy comments and information from interviewees and determining relevant portions of interview to select for broadcast or webcast.
- Researching information online and from other relevant news sources, and incorporating multimedia, as appropriate, into reports and/or features.
- Writing stories accurately and under deadline; adapting materials from English and other languages into the Cantonese language.
- Using digital equipment to deliver clean, clear, and creative productions across media platforms.
- Delivering news stories and features professionally on radio and webcast/TV and in the Cantonese language.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in broadcast or print journalism (at least one year fulltime experience in a media company preferred), multimedia experience (including TV) and previous professional graphic design/video editing experience preferred.
- Effective copywriting skills, intuitive knowledge of design, experience with visual storytelling, and ability to identify and select visual media (still image and video) that most effectively tells news stories
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and other graphics software (Canva), social analytics (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and third party social management tools.
- Academic credentials (Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field from an accredited college or university preferred) or equivalent transferable skills showing ability to gather, produce, write, and present news and information clearly and objectively.
- Knowledge and understanding of current political, economic and social conditions in China and surrounding countries.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting news.
- Experience managing social media platforms for news/media outlets and knowledge of and ability to utilize online media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies as they evolve.
- Strong computer skills and ability to edit video using Adobe Premier Editing Suite. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (including Photoshop and After Effects) and other graphics software (Canva), social analytics (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and third party social management tools.
- Experience with Microsoft FrontLook, ENPS and audio software preferred.
- Required language skills: Spoken and written fluency in Cantonese and working proficiency in English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply
Send résumé with cover letter with subject line “Cantonese Social Media Broadcaster/Webcaster” via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary Range: GS 8/9 Equivalent
Posting Date: 10/17/2017