Radio Free Asia (RFA) is seeking a talented, dynamic and versatile journalist to prepare, produce, present and place reports and programs for its Korean Service. This position will be based in RFA’s Washington, DC, offices.
- Covering news and/or features, as assigned, aimed at the North Korean audience.
- Using and cultivating a range of reliable sources, and interviewing subjects who are relevant to the story.
- Eliciting newsworthy comments and information from interviewees and determining relevant portions of interview to select for broadcast or webcast.
- Researching information online and from other relevant news sources, and incorporating multimedia, as appropriate, into reports and/or features.
- Writing stories accurately and under deadline; adapting materials from English and other languages into the Korean language.
- Using digital equipment to deliver clean, clear, and creative productions across media platforms.
- Delivering news stories and features professionally on radio or other platforms in the Korean language.
- Demonstrated experience in broadcast or print journalism (at least two years full-time experience in a media company preferred).
- Academic credentials (Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field from an accredited college or university preferred) or equivalent transferable skills showing ability to gather, produce, write, and present news and information clearly and objectively.
- Knowledge and understanding of current political, economic and social conditions in North Korea and surrounding countries.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting news.
- Strong computer skills along with knowledge and ability to utilize online and social media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies as they evolve.
- Required language skills: Spoken and written fluency in Korean and working proficiency in English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to apply
Send résumé with cover letter along with 2-3 writing samples, if any, published or broadcast (making reference to the position of "Korean Service Broadcaster/Webcaster") via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 202-530-7797.
Salary Range: GS 8/9 Equivalent
Posting Date: 12/22/17