Radio Free Asia (RFA) is a private, Washington, DC-based, nonprofit corporation that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile and e-books. Radio Free Asia (RFA) is seeking a talented, dynamic and versatile journalist to prepare, produce, present and place reports and programs on multiple media platforms for its Vietnamese Service. This position will be based in RFA’s Washington, DC, offices.
- Covering news and/or features, as assigned, with journalistic depth and analysis.
- Using and cultivating a range of reliable sources, and interviewing subjects who are relevant to the story.
- Eliciting newsworthy comments and information from interviewees and determining relevant portions of interview to select for broadcast or webcast.
- Researching information online and from other relevant news sources, and incorporating multimedia, as appropriate, into reports and/or features.
- Writing and producing video and radio stories accurately and under deadline; adapting materials from English and other languages into the Chinese language.
- Using digital equipment to deliver clean, clear, and creative productions across media platforms.
- Delivering news stories and features professionally on radio and webcast/TV and in Cantonese.
- Conducting video reporting from the field as needed.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in broadcast or print journalism (at least one year full-time experience in a media company preferred), TV anchoring skills and multimedia experience preferred.
- Academic credentials (Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field from an accredited college or university preferred) or equivalent transferable skills showing ability to gather, produce, write, and present news and information clearly and objectively.
- Knowledge and understanding of current political, economic and social conditions in China and surrounding countries.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting news.
- Strong video production skills along with knowledge and ability to utilize online media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies as they evolve.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Required language skills: Fluency in spoken and written Cantonese and Mandarin and working proficiency in spoken and written English
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition of related documentation.
How to apply
Send résumé with cover letter (making reference to “Cantonese Service
Broadcaster/Webcaster”) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 202-530-7797.
Salary Range: GS 8/9 Equivalent
Posting Date: 9/9/2019