Global Mandarin is a new digital media platform by Radio Free Asia (www.rfa.org) that aims to inform and engage with young Mandarin-speaking audience around the world. As it gears up to begin delivering independent information that presents various perspectives on subjects important to its audiences, Global Mandarin is currently seeking a dynamic and motivated editing professional to join its team and help it fulfill its mission.
- Conceiving, assigning, and editing stories on a variety of subjects and issues covered by Global Mandarin.
- Identifying and soliciting freelance writers and reporters to join Global Mandarin’s contributor network.
- Commissioning stories from freelance contributors.
- Leading the entire process of producing and packaging special reports, from conception, planning, execution, to promotion.
- Working with video and visual teams to produce visual components for the special report packages.
- Creating an editorial calendar of upcoming feature stories and special report packages.
- Researching and writing original feature stories, articles, and components of special reports.
- Working with the Director to develop a strong and unique voice and tone for Global Mandarin.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in journalism editing.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Superb editorial and Mandarin writing skills with a professional, established writing style.
- Ability to identify story ideas that are consistent with Global Mandarin’s style and to solicit ideas from writers or commission ideas from freelancers and execute them into article pieces.
- Familiarity with the field of journalism.
- Ability to quickly establish and grow Global Mandarin’s freelancer and contributor network from inside and outside of China.
- High degree of creativity and passion about building a brand from startup.
- Must have a portfolio of previous work.
- Must be a team player.
- Required language skills: Fluency in written and verbal Mandarin Chinese and proficiency in written and verbal English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to apply: Submit portfolio (link to web-based portfolio preferred) along with résumé with cover letter referencing "Feature Editor, Global Mandarin" in subject line via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.