Global Mandarin is a new digital media platform by Radio Free Asia that aims to inform and engage with young Mandarin-speaking audiences around the world. As it gears up to begin delivering independent information that presents various perspectives on subjects important to its audiences, Global Mandarin is currently seeking a journalist well-versed in social media to adapt Mandarin language news content (images, video, and audio) to social media to engage target audiences, as well as to prepare, produce, and present reports and programs on social media for Global Mandarin. This position will be based in RFA's Washington, DC office.
- Developing and implementing ways of adapting Global Mandarin’s content to engage audiences on social media channels and digital platforms.
- Managing day-to-day curation and management of Global Mandarin social accounts.
- Creating Instagram stories, post entries, images, graphics and videos that enable effective, engaging storytelling in the social space.
- Using analytics to monitor the effectiveness of social posts and campaigns; providing feedback to editorial team based on data.
- Tracking industry trends and use of social media in target market; identifying opportunities to grow audiences on new and evolving social platforms.
- Covering news and/or features, as assigned, with depth and analysis.
- Researching information online and from other relevant news sources, and incorporating multimedia, as appropriate, into reports and/or features.
- Writing stories accurately and under deadline.
- Using digital equipment to deliver clean, clear, and creative productions across media platforms.
- Savvy social media user. Particularly in Instagram and YouTube.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or related field with a minimum of two years full-time experience in digital, broadcast or print journalism.
- Experience managing social media platforms for media outlets. Ability to utilize online media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies and social media features as they evolve.
- Effective copywriting skills, intuitive knowledge of design, experience with visual storytelling, and ability to identify and select visual media (still image and video) that most effectively tells news stories.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite for graphic design, video editing and motion graphic design.
- Experience with social analytics (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and third-party social management tools.
- Required language skills: Spoken and written fluency in Mandarin and working proficiency in English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply:
Submit a portfolio of your strongest work along with a cover letter and résumé via email to email@example.com, referencing “Global Mandarin Social Media Specialist” in the subject line.