Radio Free Asia (RFA) is a private, Washington, DC-based, nonprofit corporation that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile and e-books. RFA is currently seeking a dynamic and motivated professional skilled in the planning, preparation, and production of video projects to join its Korean Service and help it fulfill its mission by producing creative, polished, and engaging online multimedia content. This position will be based in RFA's Washington, DC, offices.
- Planning video projects from story development, research, proposal to production, and drawing upon strong creative skills to explore new trends and approaches to video storytelling.
- Researching information online and from other relevant news sources – including archival footage and photos as well as public records and government data – to support and enrich story writing.
- Translating stories into video scripts that may include a variety of visual elements, such as reporter stand-ups, B-rolls, studio interviews, Skype interviews, and other relevant footage.
- Using production equipment – digital cameras, DSLRs, audio recorders, microphones, lights, and more to perform a range of tasks related to video production, including lighting set up, camera set up, interview shooting, and B-roll shooting.
- Editing video at a level consistent with an understanding of basic video editing concepts and strong proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly in Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
- Editing first rough cuts drawing upon all available visual and audio means, including infographic design, data presentation, music, and sound effects.
- Creating final cuts with finalized editing and simple motion design, animation, and special effects.
- Delivering clean, clear, and creative final product packages, including final videos, promotional videos and short descriptions, finalized scripts for web, as well as thumbnails in different formats tailored for different platforms and user groups.
- Coordinating production for a live show.
- Assisting administrative works.
- Editing programs for multimedia, including web.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in broadcast or print journalism, multimedia experience and previous professional graphic design/video editing experience preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in video editing and ability to edit video using Adobe Premier and After Effects. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Adobe Premier and After Effects and other graphics software (Canva), social analytics (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and third-party social management tools. Experience with Microsoft FrontLook, ENPS and audio software preferred.
- Effective copywriting skills, intuitive knowledge of design, experience with visual storytelling, and ability to identify and select visual media (still image and video) that most effectively tells news stories
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly in Adobe Premiere and After Effects, and other graphics software (Canva), social analytics (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and third-party social management tools.
- Academic credentials (Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field from an accredited college or university preferred) or equivalent transferable skills showing ability to gather, produce, write, and present news and information clearly and objectively.
- Knowledge and understanding of current political, economic and social conditions in North Korea.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting news.
- Experience managing social media platforms for news/media outlets and knowledge of and ability to utilize online media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies as they evolve.
- Strong general computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Experiences in production coordination, administrative assistance and program editing for multimedia, including website are strongly preferred.
- Required language skills: Spoken and written fluency in Korean and working proficiency in English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply
Submit portfolio (link to web-based portfolio preferred) along with résumé and cover letter with salary requirements via email to email@example.com referencing position of "Korean Digital Content Producer" in subject line.