Radio Free Asia (RFA) is a private, Washington, DC-based, nonprofit corporation that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile and e-books.Radio Free Asia is seeking a talented, dynamic and versatile journalist to prepare, produce, present and place reports and programs on multiple media platforms for its Mandarin Service. This position will be based in RFA’s Washington, DC, offices.
- Covering news and/or features, as assigned, with some depth and analysis.
- Using and cultivating a range of reliable sources, and interviewing subjects who are relevant to the story.
- Eliciting newsworthy comments and information from interviewees and determining relevant portions of interview to select for broadcast or webcast. Writing and producing video and radio stories accurately and under deadline; adapting materials from English and other languages into the Mandarin language. Using digital equipment to deliver clean, clear, and creative productions across media platforms.
- Delivering news stories and features professionally on radio and webcast/TV and in the Mandarin language.
- Researching information online and from other relevant news sources, and incorporating multimedia, as appropriate, into reports and/or features.
- Conducting video reporting from the field, as needed. Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated extensive experience in broadcast journalism (at least two years full- time experience in a media company preferred).
- Academic credentials (Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field from an accredited college or university preferred) or equivalent transferable skills showing ability to produce, write, and present broadcast news clearly and objectively.
- Knowledge and understanding of current political, economic and social conditions in China and surrounding countries.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting broadcast news.
- Strong video production skills along with knowledge and ability to utilize online and social media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies as they evolve.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office suite
- Required language skills: Spoken and written fluency in Mandarin and working proficiency in English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply
Send résumé with cover letter (making reference to the position of "Mandarin Service Broadcaster/Webcaster") via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 202-530-7797.
Salary Range: GS 8/9 Equivalent
Posting Date: 1/3/20