The Open Technology Fund (OTF) is a U.S. Government-funded non-profit that works to advance Internet freedom globally by supporting the research, development, implementation, and sustainability of Internet freedom technologies. The OTF at Radio Free Asia (RFA) is seeking a dynamic, experienced, and self-motivated Outreach and Communications Manager to help develop and implement OTF’s external communications strategy. The Outreach and Communication Manager will be responsible for shaping and implementing a strategy to raise OTF’s profile among key stakeholders, including relevant media, Congressional representatives, and coalition partners, through targeted outreach and engagement that highlight OTF’s successes, elevate OTF’s priorities, and foster a better understanding of OTF’s mission. The ideal candidate will have familiarity and a driving interest in technology and Internet freedom issues, but is not necessarily an expert in these issues.
There will be opportunities to travel and some may be required. The Outreach and Communications Manager reports directly to the President of OTF.
OTF is keen to receive applications from people who consider themselves under-represented in the philanthropy, human rights, Internet freedom, security, and/or technology communities - even if they feel they meet only some of the qualifications.
- Lead the development and implementation of OTF’s outreach and communications strategy to elevate OTF’s profile among key stakeholders, including Congress and technology and foreign policy-focused media.
- Develop and maintain successful relationships with the relevant media outlets and journalists.
- Develop outreach and communication documents and material to support OTF’s communications strategy. Disseminate information, announcements, and reports through relevant channels.
- Prepare written materials, including press materials, statements, talking points, presentations and op-eds, as needed for public relations activities.
- Identify opportunities and foster partnerships with other organizations that support OTF’s mission to promote human rights online.
- Lead the research and analysis of priority OTF stakeholders and develop engagement strategies to support fundraising efforts.
- Organize and plan events and event participation for OTF principles and representatives of OTF-supported projects, such as speeches and panel discussions.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive branding strategy for OTF material that reflects OTF’s values, principles, and mission.
- Create and implement an internal communications plan and protocol that will cover roles, responsibilities, and approvals at various levels.
- Track media coverage of OTF and OTF-supported projects and initiatives.
- Continually evaluate OTF’s communications needs and resources and lead change where needed.
- Manage communication-related contracts and deliverables as needed.
- Manage OTF’s website and social media content to ensure all content is current, accurate, and accessible.
- Create and publish content on OTF’s website and social media accounts.
- Lead improvements to OTF’s website as necessary.
- Increase OTF’s online presence on social media.
- Represent OTF as the main point of contact between OTF and USAGM’s Communications Team.
- Draft monthly, annual, and special reports to USAGM and other donors.
- Draft updates to OTF’s Board of Directors as needed.
- Participate in OTF application review process.
- Continually learn new skills and share knowledge to help improve team practices.
- Fulfill other duties as discussed and assigned by the OTF CEO and President.
- Five or more years of experience in communications or public relations.
- Familiarity and a driving interest in technology and Internet freedom issues.
- Impeccable writing, editing, and presentation skills, demonstrating the ability to communicate information to multiple audiences.
- Exceptional track record in working effectively with Congress and the media.
- Experience in meeting and event planning.
- Experience with social media messaging across a range of platforms.
- Ability to quickly grasp and synthesize complex issues.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects effectively and adjust to changing priorities.
- Familiarity with Drupal, Wagtail, MS Office, web tools, and other common communications tools and social media platforms.
- A high level of self-motivation with a passion for continuous learning.
- Strong critical thinking, analytical skills and creativity in approaching challenges and delivering exceptional solutions.
- Detail-oriented and organized; experience with project management.
- A drive for quality and excellence in your work.
- Excellent ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others in multicultural teams, across organizational boundaries and multiple time zones, and with team members at all levels.
- A flexible, responsive, and enthusiastic approach to work, including the humility and grace to work effectively with others in a collaborative, fast-paced team.
- Language skills a plus.
Open Technology Fund is a non-profit corporation that currently operates as a program of Radio Free Asia (RFA) a 501(c)(3).
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only applications submitted through firstname.lastname@example.org will be considered.