The Open Technology Fund (OTF) is a U.S. Government-funded non-profit that works to advance Internet freedom globally by supporting the research, development, implementation, and sustainability of Internet freedom technologies. The Open Technology Fund (OTF) at RFA seeks a motivated and agile Comptroller with a passion for, and understanding of, OTF’s mission. The Comptroller will serve as an internal advisor to the CEO and Board on all financial matters and will proactively identify and communicate risks and challenges as well as ensure that OTF meets all critical regulatory and legal compliance benchmarks with regard to audits, tax filings, grant reporting, contract administration, and other monthly and annual reporting requirements. The Comptroller will draw upon a solid knowledge of technology, and to use technology to optimize all reporting and analytical functions. In addition, the Comptroller will perform accounting functions as necessary and coordinate with other senior OTF staff and vendors to administer employee benefits, payroll, etc.
The ideal candidate has experience effectively and efficiently directing the financial and budgetary actions of non-profit organizations, and working collaboratively with programmatic team members and is at ease when providing strategic financial input to Senior OTF Team members and Board members.
Promotion to the role of Chief Financial Officer is available for the right candidate.
- Handling day-to-day operational management and strategic oversight of OTF’s finance matters, including budget, accounting, and finance functions consistent with OTF’s mission.
- Coordinating and overseeing all audit activities.
- Ensuring compliance with all government funding procurement policies and procedures, and reporting requirements.
- Overseeing and developing OTF’s finance policies and procedures and proactively coordinate with other OTF team members to ensure proper implementation and execution throughout the organization.
- Proactively advising the Senior OTF Team on issues of finance, budget, financial policies, tax, audit, and benefits, including emerging regulations, industry developments, and external marketplace dynamics relevant to supporting OTF’s mission-based operations.
- Taking initiative to improve OTF’s ability to fulfill its mission by identifying tools and approaches to responsibly and ethically streamline OTF’s financial compliance and reporting procedures.
- Performing accounting functions as necessary.
- Overseeing vendors/contractors for accounting and benefits administration functions, where applicable.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Alignment to the Mission and Culture of OTF
- Commitment to OTF’s mission and core values of equity, fairness and diversity.
- Comfortable working with and supporting a small, nimble team to efficiently and effectively achieve impact.
- Passion for social change with knowledge of philanthropy, and interest in the field of human rights and Internet freedom, including nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurship, racial and gender equity, civic engagement, etc.
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and/or a sense of humor.
- Action-orientated and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and as part of a diverse team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance or relevant field is required
- Master’s Degree or CPA designation is an advantage
Experience, related skills and knowledge
- Minimum 6 years of work experience directly related to non-profit financial management or a combination of training, education and experience equivalent to 6+ years of direct experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position
- In-depth knowledge of US government grant accounting and Uniform Guidance rules and relevant policies, procedures, internal controls, and auditing requirements
- Ability to proactively identify and address challenges, provide insight and strategic advice on the fly, and work independently while being a collaborative and engaged team member
- Experience working among, and providing leadership, to a diverse team in a non-profit or government environment
- Hands-on, creative, responsive and possessing experience with independent auditing and GAAP accounting
- Ability to take a mission-driven approach, while maintaining integrity and meeting legal standards
- Strong communication skills and a positive resilient attitude
Open Technology Fund is a non-profit corporation that currently operates as a program of Radio Free Asia (RFA) a 501(c)(3).
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applications submitted through email@example.com will be considered. In your application, you are invited to highlight your direct experience with the following: 1) performing finance functions within a non-profit as an employee or contractor, and/or 2) direct experience managing federal grant funds and contracts (familiarity with Title 2, CFR Part 200, etc.).