Broadcaster/Webcaster, Uyghur Service
RFA is seeking a talented, dynamic, and versatile journalist to prepare, produce, present and place reports and programs on multiple media platforms for its Uyghur Service. This position will be based in RFA’s Washington, DC, offices.
- Covering news and/or features, as assigned, with some depth and analysis.
- Using and cultivating a range of reliable sources, and interviewing subjects who are relevant to the story.
- Eliciting newsworthy comments and information from interviewees and determining relevant portions of interview to select for broadcast or webcast.
- Researching information online and from other relevant news sources, and incorporating multimedia, as appropriate, into reports and/or features.
- Writing stories accurately and under deadline; adapting materials from English and other languages into the Uyghur language.
- Using digital equipment to deliver clean, clear, and creative productions across media platforms.
- Delivering news stories and features professionally on radio and webcast/TV in the Uyghur language.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in broadcast or print journalism (at least one year full-time experience in a media company preferred), and multimedia experience a plus.
- Academic credentials (Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field from an accredited college or university preferred) or equivalent transferable skills showing ability to gather, produce, write, and present news and information clearly and objectively.
- Knowledge and understanding of current political, economic and social conditions in China and surrounding countries.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting news.
- Knowledge and ability to utilize online media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies as they evolve.
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with Web 2.0 functions.
- Required language skills: Spoken and written fluency in Uyghur and working proficiency in English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply
Send résumé with cover letter (making reference to the position of "Uyghur Service Broadcaster/Webcaster") via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 202-530-7797.
Salary Range: GS 8/9 Equivalent
Posting Date: 9/24/19