Radio Free Asia (RFA) is a private, Washington, DC-based, nonprofit corporation that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile and e-books. RFA is currently seeking a journalist well-versed in social media for the role of Broadcaster/Webcaster for social media to help engage target audiences by adapting Uyghur language news content (images, video, and audio) to social media as well as to prepare, produce, and present reports and programs on TV and social media for its Uyghur language news service. This position will be based in RFA's Washington, DC, offices.
- Developing and implementing ways of adapting RFA’s Uyghur Service’s content to engage audiences on social media channels and digital platforms.
- Managing day-to-day curation and management of Uyghur Service social accounts.
- Creating social images, graphics and videos that enable effective, engaging storytelling in the social space.
- Using analytics to monitor the effectiveness of social posts and campaigns; providing feedback to editorial team based on data.
- Tracking industry trends and use of social media in target market; identifying opportunities to grow audiences on new and evolving social platforms.
- Covering news and/or features, as assigned, with depth and analysis.
- Eliciting newsworthy comments and information from interviewees and determining relevant portions of interview to select for broadcast or webcast.
- Researching information online and from other relevant news sources, and incorporating multimedia, as appropriate, into reports and/or features.
- Writing stories accurately and under deadline; adapting materials from Chinese, English and other languages into the Uyghur language.
- Using digital equipment to deliver clean, clear, and creative productions across media platforms.
- Delivering news stories and features professionally on radio and webcast/TV and in the Uyghur language.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience in broadcast or print journalism (at least one year full-time experience in a media company preferred), multimedia experience (including TV) and previous professional graphic design/video editing experience preferred.
- Effective copywriting skills, intuitive knowledge of design, experience with visual storytelling, and ability to identify and select visual media (still image and video) that most effectively tells news stories
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and other graphics software (Canva), social analytics (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and third party social management tools.
- Academic credentials (Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field from an accredited college or university preferred) or equivalent transferable skills showing ability to gather, produce, write, and present news and information clearly and objectively.
- Knowledge and understanding of current political, economic and social conditions in the Uyghur Region, China and surrounding countries.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting news.
- Experience managing social media platforms for news/media outlets and knowledge of and ability to utilize online media in creative and innovative ways and to adapt to new technologies as they evolve.
- Strong computer skills and ability to edit video using Adobe Premier Editing Suite. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (including
- Photoshop and After Effects) and other graphics software (Canva), social analytics (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube), and third party social management tools.
- Experience with Microsoft FrontLook, ENPS and audio software preferred.
- Required language skills: Spoken and written fluency in Uyghur and working proficiency in Mandarin and English.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the U.S. as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply
Send résumé with cover letter (making reference to the position of "Uyghur Service Broadcaster/Webcaster for Social Media") via email to email@example.com or fax to 202-530-7797.
Salary Range: GS 8/9 Equivalent
Posting Date: 9/24/19