Possible remains of U.S. soldiers found in North Korea

Listen to the original broadcast in Korean

U.S. and North Korean officials have found what appear to be the remains ofU.S. soldiers killed in the 1950-53 Korean War, a U.S. military officialtold Radio Free Asia (RFA).

"It looks like they have already found possible human remains," ArmyLieutenant Colonel Jerry O'Hara, spokesman for the U.S. Army CentralInvestigation Laboratory, told RFA's Korean service. "They are presumed tobe of American soldiers."

The remains were found by a joint team of U.S. and North Korean officialsand workers, which has been searching two major Korean War battlefields inNorth Korea--Wunsan and Jangjin--since Aug. 23. O'Hara provided no detailsand said forensic tests would be necessary to determine the origin of theremains with certainty.

The search was part of a 1996 accord under which North Korea has allowedU.S. officials to search for the remains of thousands of missing U.S.soldiers. The joint teams so far have found about 170 sets of remains butonly about a dozen have been positively identified.

The latest remains were found near Jangjin Lake in South Hamgyong Provincenear the border with China, O'Hare said. The lake, known to Americanveterans as Chosin, was a venue for fierce fighting during the war. Recoverywork in Wunsan, also near the Chinese border, was suspended after anunexploded bomb from the Korean War was found there, O'Hara said.