All Comments for Xi Faces 'Ethnic Crisis'

Add your comment by filling out the form below in plain text. Comments are approved by a moderator and can be edited in accordance with RFAs Terms of Use. Comments will not appear in real time. RFA is not responsible for the content of the postings. Please, be respectful of others' point of view and stick to the facts.

Wales :

The seriously flawed CCP regime policy toward minorities in borderlands was not mainly due to former top Standing Committee Party oligarch Hu Jintao, but due to the entire Party oligarchy since the late 1980s crackdowns, which has been reflexively suppressive in the face of minority unrest and always claimed foreign conspiracies as the cause of unrest and portayed in its propaganda the Han Chinese as always been victimized by insidious enemies both at home and abroad. It appears that the post-1989 CCP oligarchs are unable to learn from their mistakes and will keep on using violent suppression until they discover how severely this can backfire.

Feb 03, 2013 11:28 AM

    Reply to this comment

mongol horde from outer mongolia :

Han Chinese comprise 96% of China population, but the remaining 4% of minorities control 60% of the country territory. Expanding Chinese economy needs more resources, hence creating clash with national minorities. Further conflicts are inevitable as all this boils down to the access and control of natural resources. Forget about cultural traditions, independence of national minorities...

Feb 02, 2013 11:55 PM

    Reply to this comment

Wangchuk from NYC :

The problem is the PRC is actually a colonial empire. It occupies lands that are not Chinese and where non-Chinese people live & have lived independent of Chinese rule for centuries. When the PLA took over Inner Mongolia, Tibet & E. Turkestan, they didn't accomodate the needs of the local peoples but instead forced them to become more Chinese & give up their native cultures. Moreover Chinese tend to look down upon ethnic minorities & view them as culturally backward. You can forcibly assimilate people. As long as China tries to forcibly Sinicize Tibetans, Uighurs & Mongolians, there will always be unrest in these areas.

Feb 01, 2013 09:39 AM

    Reply to this comment

Return to story





More Listening Options

View Full Site