All Comments for Striking Cambodian Workers Clash With Police, Block Key Highway

Add your comment by filling out the form below in plain text. Comments are approved by a moderator and can be edited in accordance with RFAs Terms of Use. Comments will not appear in real time. RFA is not responsible for the content of the postings. Please, be respectful of others' point of view and stick to the facts.

Anonymous Reader :

Electricity cost for an average factory is about $5,000 a month. How do know this? I know this because when I went to pay my electricity bill, the guy next to me in line was holding bundle of Riels in 50,000 notes to pay his factory electricity.

So, if you multiply $5,000 X 12 = $60,000 a year for each factory.

Now, multiply $60,000 X 400 factories = $24,000,000 per year electricity cost for all factories in Cambodia.

Dec 30, 2013 04:21 PM

    Reply to this comment

Pay The Workers Now :

Re: No Raise. Are you able to live with minimum of $80 a month when gasoline in Cambodia costs $1 a gallon, or $4 a gallon? That is more expensive than in the U.S.

Dec 29, 2013 05:41 PM

    Reply to this comment

Anonymous Reader :

You are absolutely correct sir. Gasoline in the U.S is $3.35 per gallon. Here the figure.

3.72 litres = 1 gallon
5400 reil per liter
5400 x 3.72 litres = 20,100 reil per gallon

20,100/4000 = $5.00 per gallon

Dec 30, 2013 04:42 PM

Anonymous Reader :

Here are the break down:


300,000 workers X $80/month = $24,000,000

$24,000,000 X 12 = $288,000,000 cost of slave wages annually


Cambodia export about $4,000,000,000 annualy.

$4,000,000,000 - $288,000,000 = $3,712,000,000 for other expenses and profit

$288,000,000/$4,000,000,000 X 100% = 7.2% labor cost

Don't be greedy. Give these workers a living wage. Even if you doubled their salary, that only cost 15% which leaves you 85% big piece of pie.

Dec 28, 2013 03:44 PM

    Reply to this comment

No Raise :

How factory can afford to pay $160 to 600,000 worker each month? In one year wages alone cost 1.23 billions dollars, when country only takes in 4.3 billions not including material cost, electricity, fees to corrupt CPP officials and their families. Factory owners are squeezed by supliers, workers, and corrupted ugly CPP officials and ugly stupid police officials.

Dec 27, 2013 08:15 PM

    Reply to this comment

Anonymous Reader :

I don't think 300,000 or 600,000 workers are the correct figure. The truth is nobody knows. I wouldn't count on this illegitimate government to come up with the correct data either. Even if they did, it would always be wrong. This government is incompetent, it always has been and it will always be.

If they truly wanted to find out the true cost, they could have an open book audit. Let the public see what the real costs are. Of course, these lying thieves will never want to shot themselves in the foot. That is why we don't expect to see the real numbers and figures.

Dec 30, 2013 04:11 PM

Return to story





More Listening Options

View Full Site