Hong Kong Activist Agnes Chow Moved to Top Security Prison: Report

Hong Kong Activist Agnes Chow Moved to Top Security Prison: Report Pro-democracy activist Agnes Chow arrives at West Kowloon Magistrates Court in Hong Kong for the first day of her trial on unauthorized assembly charges in relation to protests in 2019, Nov. 23, 2020
Photo: RFA

Authorities in Hong Kong have transferred 24-year-old democracy activist Agnes Chow to a top-security prison that places Category A prisoners convicted of violent crime in solitary confinement, according to the city's Apple Daily newspaper.

Chow was sentenced to seven months' imprisonment in Dec. 2 after pleading guilty to charges relating to "illegal assembly" linked to protests outside Hong Kong's police headquarters on June 21, 2019.

She was taken after sentencing to the medium-security Lo Wu Correctional Institution near the border with mainland China.

But the Apple Daily cited sources as saying that she has since been transferred to the Tai Lam Women's Correctional Institution, a Category A facility.

Shiu Ka-chun, who once represented the city's social welfare sector in the Legislative Council (LegCo) who served an eight-month jail term in connection with the 2014 Occupy Central campaign for universal suffrage, said the move was highly unusual.

Category A prisoners, of whom there are only a few hundred in a city of seven million, are often people who have been convicted of murder or drug trafficking, Shiu told the paper.

"To give you some idea, Cat. A prisoners aren't even allowed out to attend the funeral of a family member," he said.

Fellow activist and former 2014 student leader Joshua Wong, who co-founded the now-disbanded political party Demosisto with Chow, is also believed to have been placed in Category A, the report said.

The government's prison service has given no explanation for Chow's categorization. She had received a visit from

The Correctional Services Department declined to comment on individual cases, saying only that crimes committed, length of sentence and the extent to which someone was a security risk would all be taken into account, the Apple Daily said.

Its report came two days after a friend of Chow's posted a video to YouTube about her transfer, saying that pro-democracy District Councillor Tiffany Yuen had paid her a visit in Lo Wu last week, before she was moved.

In 2019, the Correctional Services Department admitted 128 Category A prisoners, of which 86 percent had been convicted of drug-related crimes, and the remaining 14 percent violent crimes including murder and rape.

There were 552 category A prisoners in Hong Kong at the end of the year, according to the department's annual report.

Reported by RFA's Cantonese Service. Translated and edited by Luisetta Mudie.


Add your comment by filling out the form below in plain text. Comments are approved by a moderator and can be edited in accordance with RFAs Terms of Use. Comments will not appear in real time. RFA is not responsible for the content of the postings. Please, be respectful of others' point of view and stick to the facts.


Jan 01, 2021 06:05 PM

The communists fear them ?

Jan 03, 2021 08:05 PM

She should run for president of china against Xi. What fear does the communist have from this young woman ? Is she dangerous ? Of course not. Communism is a fear of the people.